Monday, July 6, 2009

Pretzel Dogs


3July0923
Originally uploaded by katiesgirls
I made pretzel dogs for the 4th, adapting a recipe from recipezaar.com

Ingredients
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp oil
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 1/4 tsp (or 1 package) active dry yeast
  • 2 qts water
  • 1/3 cup baking soda
  • 1 egg white, lightly beaten
Put the first 6 ingredients in bread machine on the dough setting. When the cycle is complete, separate the dough into 8-12 portions and roll them on a lightly floured surface into 18" long ropes. (You might want to play with the dough portion size.) At this point, if you prefer classic soft pretzels, you shape them now. Allow dough to rise a little, about 20 minutes.

Make a baking soda bath by combining 2 quarts water with 1/3 cup baking soda in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Bathe each dough portion individually for about 10 seconds, then remove with a slotted spoon. Roll each dough portion around a hot dog and arrange on a greased baking sheet. Brush with 1 egg slightly beaten. Sprinkle with coarse salt, if desired. Bake at 425 degrees for 8 minutes.

1 comment:

Katie said...

OK, so these were such a hit, I have worked with my method a bit. I actually roll the dough on the hot dogs before I do the baking soda bath; the dough holds its shape better that way. Also, I don't let the dough rise again after I roll it out.

I'm about to make several batches for a party tomorrow. I'm going to see how they do when I make them ahead.